The convenience of transacting through ATM is one of the relieve we have right now. We can easily get cash from our account almost everywhere in just minutes. At the middle of the night when banks are closed or even in holidays.
We can’t deny that ATM transaction can really save us time and effort when we need to withdraw money or even deposit, pay bills, transfer funds and many other things.
Along with its convenience, it also carry security threats everyone should know. ATM fraudsters and other bad people are scattered everywhere waiting for an ATM fraud victim.
We’re hearing news left and right of ATM card skimming, hold-ups and many more.
To avoid this from happening to us, we should be vigilant on how we use our ATM cards. We should be careful on this small card and how we use it to prevent those bad people getting and using our hard earned money illegally.
On this article, I will share 19 ATM security reminders everyone should know to avoid ATM frauds and other ATM illegal activity. Transacting and using our ATM is convenient, fast and easy.
We just need to make sure that we’re cautious on how to use it to avoid theft.
Keep in mind the ATM security reminders below that can help you secure your ATM transactions.
ATM security reminders
1. Use ATMs that you are familiar with or in well-lit locations where you feel comfortable transacting. If the machine is poorly lit or is in a hidden area, use another ATM.
2. Identify an ATM with natural surveillance and visibility from surrounding areas. This will create a perceived notion that criminals will be easily detected and it increases the potential for witnesses.
3. Whenever possible, select an ATM that is being patrolled and/or there is a security personnel/guard assigned.
4. Do not use ATM that appears to be tampered or otherwise altered. Report such condition to the bank [immediately].
Prior To, During, and After the ATM Transactions
5. Have your card ready before approaching the ATM. Avoid having to go through your wallet or purse to find the card.
6. Look around for any suspicious person before entering the ATM area and then, lock the door, if any. If you notice anything strange, leave and return some other time. If you have already started a transaction, cancel it and leave.
7. Be mindful of “shoulder surfers” when using the ATM. Stand close to the ATM and shield the keypad with your hand when keying in the PIN and transaction amount.
8. Maintain awareness of your surrounding throughout the transaction. Do not become so involved with your transaction that you are unaware of changing conditions in the area.
9. If the ATM is not working correctly, cancel your transaction and use a different ATM. If possible, report the problem to the bank.
10. Never accept offers of assistance from strangers; ask or call the bank for help.
11. Immediately, carefully secure your card and cash in your wallet, handbag, or pocket before leaving the ATM.
12. Make sure you get the transaction receipt. Do not throw receipt away from the ATM site.
13. When leaving an ATM location, make sure that you are not being followed. If you are being followed, drive or run immediately to a police station, crowded area, well-lighted location, or open businesses. Flash your lights and sound your horn to bring attention to your situation.
14. If you are involved in a confrontation wherein the attacker is armed with a weapon and demands for your money or valuables, GIVE IT TO THE SUSPECT. Do not resist, property may be recovered later or replaced.
ATM Fraud Prevention
15. Activate your ATM card and sign the signature panel as soon as you received it.
16. Memorize your ATM personal identification number (PIN) and never disclose it to anyone. Do not keep those numbers or password in your wallet or purse. Never write it on the card itself and avoid using easily available personal information like birthday, nickname, mother’s maiden name or consecutive numbers.
17. Protect your ATM cards as if they were cash and never lend your card to anyone. You are responsible for its use.
18. Always reconcile/check your transactions with your monthly statement of account. It is the best way to guard your account against fraudulent transactions and makes record keeping easier.
19. Do not let other people use your card. If you believe your ATM card is lost or stolen, report the incident immediately to the bank.
The ATM security reminders above will somehow give you awareness how to transact your ATM securely. Don’t let these bad people steal our hard-earned money.
We should be aware with these ATM security reminders that can help us prevent ATM frauds. If you have an additional suggestion, just go with the comment section below to add
We should helped each other in preventing this kind of crime. This can really affect our financial goals and our journey to financial freedom.
Let’s all be cautious using our ATM by keeping these ATM security reminders in our mind.