Today marks the 6th month of my last day in the corporate world. As I shared on this blog, my previous company decided to “outsource” all of the Tier 2 I.T to another country as a new strategy. That made me and other 100+ I.T individuals lost our job. 6 months after, here I am today.
It’s been a challenging and fun journey on the path that I’ve chosen. Sometimes I still wonder and ask myself If I’m making the right moves and right decisions in my life.
Remember, I’m a father of a 1-year-old baby boy and a husband to my loving wife. The “self-made pressure” and responsibilities are always there keeping me “worry” about uncertain things that can happen in the future.
But still, here I am, jobless and holding to the thought that I made the right decision. At least for now.
I’ll be honest, it’s not easy. Mentally and emotionally.
Maybe because I haven’t completely defeated the “employee mindset” inside me that keeps popping up every now and then. Especially when I recieved multiple emails like this almost every week.
There are a bunch of them! I shared a few. I’m confident, one of them will hire me if I give it a try. But no, I didn’t.
I already shared it before but let me share them again. Here are the main reasons.
- We don’t have someone to take care of our little boy so I came to the rescue. It’s hard to find an honest and caring nanny right now, so we decided that I’ll take care the baby and the house. That day I became a full-time househusband!
- We have an emergency fund. Somehow, we’re able to build a substantial amount as our emergency fund. If unexpected things happen, we have something to pull-out.
- Our blogs are earning a decent amount to cover the rent, bills and other utilities. In fact it exceeded my previous salary as a Network Administrator(I’ll share them next time).
- My beautiful wife supports me all the way. She backed up all my crazy ideas. She’s also my #1 constructive critic and my #1 fan. Additionally, she has her full-time job where she can work from home – awesome for us! She also cover us for HMO in the case of emergencies.
- I’m tired working in the corporate world. Tired of commuting in an unending traffic, changing schedules, limited time-off, limited income and a little room for the growth and the freedom I want.
- I want to become an entrepreneur, I want to try something different, I want to go out from my comfort zone and grow, I want to help and inspire other people and again I want FREEDOM.
Those are the things I hold on to. Those are my WHYs.
Again, it’s not easy. There’s this battle keep going inside firing second thoughts and negative vibes in all of the reasons I shared above telling me to give up. But no, I will not.
I have this feeling that I’m on the right path where I really belong and that I’m doing the right thing. And that is what I focused on.
Knowing I can do something better aside from being an employee, knowing I can have more time with my family, knowing that I can help and inspire others and after realizing I can earn the income I want while having the freedom I want – leads me back to continue what I’m doing right now.
One of the things I learned is to just to focus on the positive side and appreciate all the blessings you have despite everything. Do you best and just believe in Him. Keep in mind that everything has their own reason. Soon enough, it’ll be ok.
Lots of things happened in the last 6 months. Here are some of the highlights.
- B2(Billy jr.) turned one year and we had a blast.
- B2 can now walk on his own (good thing we’re always at home and witnessed his first steps and all of his first-everything).
- We have more quality time as a family
- Our blog earnings keep on growing
- I have more time and freedom
Those are just some of the highligths but all in all, it’s been great. The last 6 months has been awesome.
Honestly, I really don’t know what will happen. No one knows what. But one thing is for sure, with God’s help, I know everything is going to be ok. I’m confident I’m on the right track.
Let me end this post by this man who I looked up to as a mentor.
Over to you
How about you? What’s your journey in the last 6 months? I’m interested to hear. Share them in the comment section below and I read them one by one.