Hello everyone, this is the Part IV of my how to start a blog and make money on the side tutorial series. It’s a series of basic and simple tutorials on how to start a blog and make money on it. If you haven’t read the first 3 parts, you can check them here.
On this part, I will share easy steps on how to create a free blog in wordpress.com. As mentioned on the previous articles, wordpress.com is another blogging platform where you can create a free and simple blog. As the same with creating a blog in blogger.com, it is very simple. Here’s the easy steps.
How to start a blog in WordPress.com for FREE
As I also shared on previous articles, you should have your topic ready or just a simple blogging plan before you start. Now before you create a free blog in wordpress.com, as the same with blogger.com, you should register your email address. You can follow the easy steps below.
1. Go to www.wordpress.com. Once you get there, you can immediately start creating your blog as shown in the image below. Just click create a website button.
2. On the next screen, you’ll be offer to create the domain name for your blog. I’m going to use the same on what we used in blogger on the Part III of this series.
Just type what domain you want and the system will check if it’s available or not. Make sure you come up with a simple and easy to remember domain name. It is advisable to use domain name related on your topic.
Just click Create your site and continue. It will verify your blog’s address as well as your wordpress login. Just login to your account or create if you don’t have one yet. Noticed that your domain name will have an extension of .wordpress.com when using FREE account.
You will also get an offer if you want to have a custom domain for your blog. As you can see on the image below, I’m getting offered to purchase a domain for a certain amount. It is optional and it’s really up too you if you want this. Just click “No Thanks”, to continue.
3. On the next screen, you will have an option to select the theme of your blog. As mentioned before, the “theme” pertains to the feel of your blog. Just select what is appropriate on your topic or anything you want.
After that, you’ll need to choose which plan you’re going to use. As you can see on the image below, you have an option to select the “paid” plans. It’s really optional. Just select the FREE plans to continue.
4. After that, you’re blog is already setup. You can see that it is live now. But since you’re still not writing or publishing an article, there’s nothing on it.
How to create and publish an article in wordpress.com
After your blog is setup, you can now customize and start writing an article or uploading your content. It is a good practice that you have at least 5 to 10 content or articles ready before letting other people know about your blog. Nothing’s on it so no one will read it right?
Follow the simple steps below to create and publish your first article in wordpress.com.
1. Go back to the wordpress dashboard, then at the bottom right corner you can see the button that says “Write Post“. After clicking that, you’ll now have the option to start writing your article. Or uploading or creating your content.
You can now hit publish after you finish writing or creating your content. Just make sure you double check the details and “proof read” everything to eliminate errors. Congratulations! You now created and published your first article on free wordpress.com blog.
Remember that you can also update your profile on the dashboard. You can also customize and add additional details and configurations on your blog using the dashboard. To learn more about configuring and customizing your wordpress.com blog, check here.
That’s it! You now have a running blog in wordpress.com. You can now continue creating valuable content based on your topic and start letting people know your blog. Always remember that if you give value first, money will follow.
On the coming articles, I will share easy and simple ways how we can monetize your blog. Till next time.